In the framework of sustainable landuse there is strong external pressure on railway companies for real estate development on abandoned or partially used railway land. This requires that railway companies manage the financial and environmental risk of soil contamination of their properties. The objectives of the seminar was to exchange railway specific know-how and experiences and to give information about:
- the problems that goes along with polluted soils
- the state-of-the-art within the railway community
- awareness at managerial levels of the need for sustainable landuse
- the challenge to intensify cooperation both within the railway of community and with third parties
- exploring efficient solutions and
- demonstration of best practices.
The seminar was targeting environmental coordinators, project managers at real estate redevelopment etc.
The seminar was a two days seminar and was organized in close cooperation with the State Joint Stock Company LATVIJAS DZELZCEĻŠ/LDZ/Latvian railway. The seminar took place on the 14th and 15th October 2010.
A technical visit took place on the second day of the seminar where the participants of the seminar made a tour to the LDZ Rolling Stock Service Riga Section, which is a locomotive depot where the participants could see a demonstration of renovated fuel storage and locomotive servicing plant as well as different devices for soil protection against pollution with oil products. Hereafter the technical visit went to the Latvian Railway history museum in Riga.
The programme, presentations giving at the seminar and different articles written before,during and after the seminar can be seen below.