The Operations ongoing activities consists in monitoring, coordinating and disseminating information on miscellaneous ongoing operational activities such as
- EOR (ERTMS ERTMS European Rail Transport Management System -operationals rules -former HAROP project on GSM rules harmonisation),
- EUROPTIRAILS coordination with ERTMS as a ETML layer,
- Cross Border issues
- Operations Network of Knowledge
The role of the activity is also to keep abreast with developments, influence change and to keep members informed through contacts and extranet.
Operation Network of Knowledge
Dedicated Workspace: Operations Network Knowledge
The objective of the Operations Network of Knowledge is to create a permanent and interactive platform of operations’ experts.
This project is based on the assumption that the wide array of activities in the Operation Sector creates a need for a permanent and active team of experts in this domain. As in other sectors of the Infrastructure Forum (track, structure, signalling, telecommunications) there already exists such focused experts groups.
Using the new communications facilities, such as internet, a virtual platform has been created. This network is operated remotely and is active permanently using a dedicated page of the UIC website. Face to face meetings will be organized on demand.
The mains duties of this group are:
- Harmonisation of regulations
- Efficient direction of infrastructure administrations
- Optimisation of line capacity in relation to costs
- Selection of cost beneficial projects to support these objectives
- Traffic control techniques
- Punctuality issues
- Evaluation and proposal for new projects and activities,
- Submission of proposals to the Steering Groups and Steering Committees for any projects with special budget that might be required;
- Review and update of the state of knowledge in their areas of sector’s responsibility,
- Strategic direction through insightful analysis of current and future trends,
- Railways’ experiences with new technology and the implementation of previous projects’ results,
- Expertise in the operation domain
- Advice on matters raised by other UIC bodies or external bodies,
- Proposals for the creation of new leaflets or the updating of existing leaflets.
Senior advisor - Infrastructure