The UIMC General Assembly was held on 19 November, together with its virtual congress. These events provided an opportunity for Frédéric Hénon, Head of Operations and Safety, to deliver a presentation on behalf of UIC.
Mr Hénon presented UIC’s history as an organisation serving member railways and facilitating international railway cooperation and provided some key figures.
He also mentioned the next UIC event to be held within the framework of the European Year of Rail: the UIC Symposium will take place on 30 November and 1 December to mark the association’s centenary.
Mr Hénon then spoke about:
- UIC’s role and objectives
- UIC’s vision of rail (lien)
- UIC’s organisational structure
- safety at UIC, with activities dedicated to human and organisational factors (HOF), the Global Level Crossing Network (GLCN) and the International Level Crossing Awareness Day (ILCAD), the Safety Performance Group/Safety Database, trespassing and suicide prevention, and UIMC
- the UIC Operations & Safety Roadmap 2022-2025, which will focus on technological innovation, development of new safety methods, cultural and organisational methods, talent and skills management and successful partnerships
- the EU regulation and standardisation process
The topics discussed during the UIMC virtual congress included:
- occupational medicine
- Covid-19 and the railways
- outlook – what’s next?
The next UIMC congress will be held in Miami, Florida with Florida East Coast Railway Brightline Trains in conjunction with Transportation Occupational Medicine Consultants, Inc., who have kindly offered to host the congress in 2022.