The DB Schenker Rail freight company has increased its shares by 11% in the Italian rail freight company NordCargo s.r.l. In January 2009 the DB subsidiary had already acquired 49% of the shares in the Italian Milan-based freight operator, giving it a current total of 60 %.
NordCargo was separated at the end of 2003 from the mother company Ferrovie Nord Milano (FNM). The company with around 200 staff members achieved a turnover of 40 million Euros in 2008 from both international and domestic traffic. The company is licensed to operate on the Italian network, running 7 000 trains and covering 1.4 million train-kilometres a year. It also provides traction services in international traffic on routes along the Adriatic and Tyrrhenian coast between Milan and Naples (source: DB).