After a special edition on noise issues, we are pleased to announce the publication of the UIC FOCUS n°1 on “Level crossing safety”.
UIC takes this opportunity to express great thanks to the following authors who gave their contributions so rapidly on how to improve safety at level crossings through Engineering measures, new technology, Education campaigns, and Enforcement measures. This paper is available only in English and in PDF format, currently visible on the UIC Safety website. An online version will be published at a later date.
In this edition were developed:
- Existing international rules and regulations on level crossings
- Fatalities at level crossings in the EU (ERA figures)
- Causes of level crossing incidents
- OL Inc. USA working on the 3Es (Engineering, Enforcement and Education) by Helen Sramek
- Examples of improvements in level crossing safety through Engineering measures
(One precise example in Australia: “Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC)” by Terry Spicer, Public Transport Victoria)
- Examples of Enforcement measures
- Education - ILCAD campaign
- Example of REFER Safety Policy by Paulo de Melo
- Crash tests in Poland during ILCAD 2011 which have been conducted again in 2012 by Katarzyna Kucharek, PKP PLK
- Call to register for THE worldwide event on level crossing safety: 12th Global Level Crossing and Trespass Symposium in London from 7 to 12 October 2012 by Alan Davies, RSSB (organiser) and Chairman of the European Level Crossing Forum (ELCF)