The Executive Board of the UIC Regional Assembly for Africa, chaired by Mr Mohammed Rabie Khlie, Chief Executive of Moroccan Railways, was held in Tangier on 10 April 2013 and attended, among others, by the railways of Tunisia, Algeria, Gabon and Senegal. Mr Jean-Pierre Loubinoux, UIC Director General and Mr Jerzy Wisniewski, Coordinator of the African Region and Director of the UIC Fundamental Values Department, also played an active part in the discussions.
The members endorsed the region’s main areas of work to be conducted from now until the end of the year, namely:
- Organising a technical training seminar on railway security by late May 2013, to be held in Rabat at the invitation of ONCF, for which the region’s members have been invited to register as soon as possible
- Organising a seminar on track maintenance, scheduled to take place on 12 and 13 September in Libreville (Gabon), at the invitation of SETRAG
- Participating in the next Conference of African Transport Ministers, scheduled to take place in Addis Ababa, and in particular taking this opportunity to present the final version of the Vision 2025 document for Africa
- Organising the 10th Regional Assembly for Africa, in conjunction with the Ministers’ Conference in Addis Ababa
- Celebrating ILCAD on 7 May 2013, with support from the UN
- Helping the Egyptian network to re-integrate UIC
In addition, the members of the Executive Board were pleased with the success of the International Seminar on Railway Safety and Security held in Tangier from 10 – 12 April, attended by over 200 participants from 27 countries.