On 13 September 2013 UIC Director-General Jean-Pierre Loubinoux signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between UIC and the Kazakh Academy of Transport and Communication (“KazATC”) named after Mr Tynyshpayev. Kazakh University for Transport and Communication was founded in 1931 and is the leading higher education transport institution in Kazakhstan for training staff for the railways (including electric city transport and subway) and automobile transport, specialists on information technology and telecommunications, as well as training in financial and economic issues.
In signing the MoU, UIC and JSC “KazATC” agree to develop cooperation with each other and to focus in particular on the following activities in the field of training and education:
- Designing training courses and organising the same for the purpose of enhancing the skills of railway personnel in the region,
- Providing forums for both public and private sectors to share their experience and expertise in all aspects of the rail sector,
- Harmonising national, regional and international issues on rail transport and related areas,
- Promoting interoperability and common standards for railways and integration with other modes of transport,
- Addressing issues of environment,
- Undertaking studies in economic, social and technical aspects of rail infrastructure,
- Organising regional level workshops and practical seminars for dissemination of the work achieved by UIC to meet the needs of the regional rail systems.