On 3 June, the SMGG representative visited three stations: Atocha Station located in the south of Madrid, Chamartin Station located in the north of Madrid, and Principe Pio Station located in the West of Madrid.
On 4 June 2014 the SMGG meeting took place in Madrid.
SMGG is the UIC group dedicated to stations. It comprises station managers of the UIC members.
UIC members represented in that meeting were: ADIF, the host of the meeting, RFI, SNCF, RZD, NSB, SNCB, ÖBB, Korean Railways, Japanese Railways and ONCF (Moroccan Railways).
UIC Headquarters was represented by Iñaki Barrón (Director of the Passenger Department), Marc Guigon (Senior Advisor for Passenger Transport) and Luis Casado (Senior Advisor for Passenger Transport).
The main points which were discussed in the SMGG meeting were:
- Presentation of Norwegian, Korean and Moroccan companies and stations. SNCB presented the new Belgian organisation for railways
- The leaflet concerning signage in stations (413) will be updated and extended at global level. The group agreed on the process to perform this task under the coordination of SNCF and ADIF
- A benchmark concerning the governance of stations will begin with the input of members
- The observatory for rail stations will be developed with data and information from the members (statistics, studies, organisations…). A prototype was presented during the meeting
- A preliminary discussion was engaged concerning the next worldwide conference on stations (NEXTSTATION) which will be organised in Marrakech (Morocco) at the end of 2015
- The working group PASSAGE (Passenger Accessibility Solutions Support and Action Group of Experts was presented
- The 2015 budget was agreed during this meeting
The next SMGG meeting will take place in Marrakech at the end of September/beginning of October 2014.