The ADB Transport Forum is the largest gathering of transport officials and professionals in Asia and the Pacific to discuss and share project updates, policies and issues, best practices and new innovations in the area of sustainable transport. Over the past seven years, ADB’s biennial flagship transport event has become the premier knowledge sharing platform for learning and exchange of experiences on key issues and latest development in sustainable transport in the Asia Pacific Region. In 2012, the 3rd Transport Forum was attended by over 500 participants from 50 countries.
The ADB Transport Forum 2014 will provide an interactive environment for organisations and individuals to learn in this growing and dynamic sector. ADB’s recent emphasis on innovation, integration, and inclusiveness will continue to figure prominently during the Forum along with a focus on the future of sustainable mobility in the region, providing participants an opportunity to engage directly with leading experts in the transport sector.
Special training events in conjunction with the Forum are also being planned on 11, 12, 18 and 19 September. The entire duration of the forum and pre- and post-forum workshops will be referred to as the first ADB Sustainable Transport Week.
- Plenary talks and parallel sessions
- Training workshops on sustainable modes of transport and critical capabilities for transport practitioners
- Networking opportunities
The Forum aims to engage experts in the field of sustainable transport, leaders and decision makers from developing member countries, national and multinational banks, private sector firms and service providers, members of academia, civil society, development partners and other international organisations and transport stakeholders.
The objectives of this year’s Transport Forum are to:
- facilitate knowledge sharing amongst transport practitioners in Asia and the Pacific
- highlight innovative approaches to packaging and scaling up sustainable transport initiatives
- benchmark progress in advancing sustainable transport in the region.
Jean-Pierre Loubinoux, UIC Director General, will participate as a panellist in two plenary sessions during the Forum:
- The Plenary session on “Resurgence and Reform of Railways in Asia” on 16 September to share his view on the important lessons and challenges implementing railway reforms in Europe and Asia
- The Plenary session on “Sustainable Transport Champions” on 17 September to share his views on how hard political decisions can be made to promote sustainable urban living through environmentally-friendly and equitable transport policies.
A draft programme can be found here: http://uic.org/com/IMG/pdf/tf2014_preliminary_program_overview.pdf