For rail to play an increasing role in sustainable freight transport, the freight network needs to offer enhanced connectivity between Railway Undertakings and Infrastructure Managers, and hence needs to manage increasing numbers of train movements and shunting operations through freight marshalling yards at strategic locations. Within the OptiYard project, the 13 Consortium partners under the coordination of UIC will provide tools to enhance decision support that can be directly applied to achieving enhanced yard capacity and efficiency.
The OptiYard project (Optimised Real-time Yard and Network Management) is a two-year 1.5 million euro project funded by the Shift2Rail JU within the framework of the Horizon 2020 programme. OptiYard is coordinated by the International Union of Railways (UIC) and has a total of 13 partners from seven different countries.
OptiYard aims at providing decision support tools to Yard Managers that consider the surrounding network, with a view to ensuring smooth marshalling that is essential for the global efficiency of the transport chain.
OptiYard uses a three-pronged approach to develop an optimised decision support system for yard dispatchers by:
- Providing enhanced, automated yard management by analysing existing process and operations and developing appropriate optimisation algorithms to improve operations for both single wagon load and block train traffic
- Improving information and communications processes between the Yard Management System, the RUs and Network (IM) by analysing data feeds and modelling an enhanced communications environment
- Enhancing real-time interaction with the surrounding network, giving the yard dispatcher better visibility of pending perturbations and major disruptions to the yard production schedule
There is no charge for participation, however places are limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
Register online, find the updated programme of the conference and more information on how to access the venue by clicking here: https://optiyard.eu/2018/08/08/shift2rail-optiyard-event-uic-05-10-18/
- WP2 Data Analytics which addresses current data handling capabilities as well as identifying new data models needed for the yard management system optimisation
- WP3 Development of specifications that apply to the new optimisation modules
- WP4 Full modelling of the yard and network environments
- WP5 Process optimisation
- Round table on real-life utilisation of OptiYard decision support tool