- Service Updates: While some services were reduced or suspended, Amtrak has and will continue to operate as an essential service as our nation recovers. In addition to the Acela and Northeast Regional, trains will be restored to service by monitoring demand, working with state partners and continuing to prioritize customer and employee safety. Visit the Service Updates page for the latest information.
- Face Mask Policy: To protect customers and employees, all customers in stations and on trains and thruway buses are required to wear a facial covering, beginning May 11. Facial coverings can be removed when customers are eating in designated areas, in their private rooms, or seated alone or with a travel companion in their own pair of seats. Small children who are not able to maintain a facial covering are exempt from this requirement. Customers must supply their own facial covering. Customers can go to CDC.gov for detailed instructions on how to make their own mask. Service will be denied to customers not wearing facial coverings.
- Station Staffing: Due to service reductions, some stations may not be staffed. If the station is closed, please use the Amtrak app or call 1-800-USA-Rail to check train status while waiting in a personal vehicle.
- Amtrak Guest Rewards: Learn more about the important Amtrak Guest Rewards updates we have made in response to Covid-19.
Amtrak’s Commitment to Customers and Employees During the Covid-19 Crisis
Amtrak wants to express its heartfelt appreciation for our frontline team members who work tirelessly to provide our service to those who need it most.
The safety of Amtrak’s customers and employees is our top priority. To protect customers and employees, all customers in stations and on trains and thruway buses are required to wear a facial covering, beginning May 11. If you need to travel with us, know that we are taking extra steps to sanitize our stations and trains, including taking the following measures:
Enhancing Cleaning Protocols
We have increased the frequency of cleaning services onboard trains and at our stations and we continue to recommend that everyone follow CDC guidelines around physical distancing.
Taking Steps To Protect Yourself and Others
We are regularly sharing best practices with employees and customers on ways to protect against communicable diseases. As recommended by the CDC, we encourage everyone to use a facial covering, practice physical distancing, frequently wash hands, and please stay home if you are feeling ill.
To help maintain CDC recommendations for social distancing onboard our trains, we are temporarilyreducing sales of Coach, Business, and Acela First Class to 50% of available seating.
As an added measure to ensure the health and safety of our customers and employees, we will temporarily be accepting only cashless payments in stations and on trains.
Posting Physical Distancing Posters and Floor Stickers
Signage will be displayed at a number of our busiest stations to indicate safe distances in high customer traffic areas. In addition, clear protective barriers are being retrofitted at stations where there are no current glass barriers.
Updating Food and Beverage Service for Customers
The California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle will offer flexible dining service in the Dining Car or via room service; Coach customers will be offered Café service in the Sightseeing Lounge. Traditional dining service will remain on the Auto Train as an exclusive amenity for Sleeping Car customers. This temporary change in service offers additional opportunities for onboard social distancing and will be effective through May 31, 2020.
Amtrak continues to evaluate current practices and pilot new opportunities to support personal safety.
Ticket Changes and/or Cancellations
- Amtrak is waiving change fees: For reservations made before May 31, 2020. This includes reservations booked with points. To modify a reservation, log in to your account, go to ‘Modify Trip’ on Amtrak.com, or find your reservation from your account on the home screen in the Amtrak app. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary. If you want to cancel your reservation with no fee, you must call 1-800-USA-RAIL and speak with an agent (not available via Amtrak.com or the app).
- Multi-Ride tickets: Multi-ride train and city pair restrictions are removed on the Northeast Corridor through May 31, 2020.