High speed rail is not only a technical subject, but encompasses a complex reality involving various technical aspects such as infrastructure, rolling stock and operations and cross-sector issues such as financial, commercial, managerial, strategic and training aspects, each at its highest level.
The high speed rail system combines these various elements using highly sophisticated technology. This rapidly expanding new transport mode is often described as the transport mode of the future for a number of reasons. As well as improving rail services, promoting the modern image they seek to convey and yielding greater customer satisfaction, high speed trains also play a key role in the structuring of territories and helping to create socioeconomically balanced societies at world level.
This highly efficient transport mode makes significant demands in terms of investment, technology, industry, the environment and its political and social aspects, and media coverage of these various aspects is often unbalanced. This misinformation affects public opinion as well as technical staff and decision-makers.
It is in this context and in an often tense economic, political and social climate in some countries that managers must take what are in some cases historic decisions regarding transport in general and rail transport in particular.
In order to meet the many requests from its members and with their cooperation for comprehensive and unbiased information on the subject, UIC is staging a training session on high speed systems in 2015.
The 11th Training Session on High Speed Systems will be held in at Paris UIC HQ from 20 – 25 April 2015.
- Provide an accurate and comprehensive overview of high speed systems
- Provide managers with all the information needed to facilitate decision-making on the subject of high speed rail
- Foster exchanges of experience and information about the latest developments in the field
- Give a global vision of high speed rail to experts on some particular elements of the system
- Managers, strategy experts, decision-makers, economists, technicians
- The session is targeted at managers in decision-making positions in the transport sector in general, and in the railways in particular, whether working for railway companies or for ministries, local authorities, universities, advisory bodies, agencies or associations
Conditions for participation
- The seminar is targeted at persons interested in acquiring a comprehensive overview of the high speed system
- Seminar participants need not have in-depth knowledge of any specific subject relating to high speed systems
- Attendance at ALL sessions is therefore mandatory
- Our speakers are all experts in the subjects addressed and are drawn mainly from railways, universities and industry. They represent all the countries and world regions with experience in the field of high speed rail systems
The programme, along with practical information and registration, can be found here: