Each year hundreds of people across Europe die in accidents at level crossings, which account for one third of all rail fatalities and 1-2% of all road deaths. On 22 June 2010, road and rail stakeholders launched the International Level Crossing Awareness Campaign (ILCAD), the first ever international campaign dedicated to reducing the number of fatalities at level crossings. ILCAD builds on the success of the first European campaign, which was implemented in 27 countries in 2009. The international version was carried out in 43 countries in 2015. Level crossings belong to both the rail and road network, but most accidents there result from misbehaviour by road users. As part of this campaign, the European Commission produced, with the support of UIC, a video clip to raise awareness of the issue www.ilcad.org
Laser Europe, “Road safety actions in Europe”, is an NGO, head of a road safety organisations network, which pursues educational, social and cultural aims. Its goal is the development of road safety through the creation and application of innovative, attractive and motivating programmes and actions. Laser Europe is a member of the United Nations Road Safety Collaboration (UNRSC) www.life4roadsafety.org
The film festival, springboard for the launch of the European Mobility Week, was organised by Laser International Foundation (LIFE), under the aegis of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, the European Union, the United Nations Road Safety Collaboration and the partnership of PRI.
Twenty different countries were registered to take part in the 1st European Road Safety Film Festival, among them Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Benin, Canada, Congo, Czech Republic, France, Greece, Hungary, India, Italy, Luxemburg, Morocco, Norway, Quebec, Spain, Switzerland, Senegal, and the Netherlands.
The event was attended by a number of prominent personalities:
- Mr Dominique Riqué, Vice President of the European Parliament Transport Committee – Vice-Président de la Commission des Transports du Parlement européen
- Mr Charles Piqué, President of the Parliament of the Brussels Capital Region – Président du Parlement de la Région de Bruxelles Capitale
- Mrs Jacqueline Galant, Federal Minister of Mobility – Ministre fédérale de la Mobilité
- Mr Maxime Prévot, Vice-President and Minister of the Walloon Government, in charge of road safety – Vice-président et Ministre du Gouvernement wallon en charge de la sécurité routière
- Mrs Bianca Debaets, Secretary of State of the Brussels Capital Region, in charge of road safety – Secrétaire d’Etat de la Région de Bruxelles Capitale en charge de la sécurité routière
- Mrs Luciana Iorio, President of the UNECE Road Safety Forum – Présidente du Forum de la sécurité routière de la Commission Economique pour l’Europe des Nations Unies
- Mrs Awa Sarr, President of the UNRSC Committee on Work-Related Road Safety – Présidente du Groupe Sécurité routière en milieu professionnels du Groupe de collaboration des Nations Unies pour la sécurité routière
- Mr Joop Goos, President of the International Road Safety Organisation – Président de la Prévention Routière Internationale
- Ms Sophie Corret, President of the European Youth Forum for Road Safety – Présidente du Forum européen des jeunes pour la sécurité routière
The objectives of the festival are to promote the best productions, promote meetings between stakeholders in the area of road safety and facilitate the implementation of national and local programs.
We are very proud to share that the film “Save lives at level crossings” produced jointly by UIC, UNECE and BAV (Swiss Federal Office of Transport) for ILCAD 2014 is the most viewed film on the UNECE website according to UNECE. To watch the video on the UIC website visit: https://youtu.be/aGK0B1Wo2u8