At the kind invitation of CARS (China Academy of Railway Science), the ICHSC met in Shanghai on 24 October 2017, on the occasion of the Modern Railway Conference, one of the biggest rail congresses in the world.
The meeting was chaired by Andrew MacNaughton from HS2. UIC Headquarters was represented by Mr Marc Guigon, Director of the Passenger Department.
UIC members and consultants also attended the meeting.
The main points discussed during the meeting were as follows:
- Alliance with universities will meet once a year in one university. They will have a special place in the High Speed congress of Ankara. Universities are welcome to contact UIC to participate in the Alliance
- The High Speed Congress will be hosted by TCDD (Turkish Railways) from 8 – 11 May 2018. The scientific committee asked UIC members to propose some lectures concerning High Speed activities before 17 November 2017
- Three studies are now quite completed. They will be available on the UIC website at the end of this year:
- Charge4Rail (University of Lisbon)
- New modal competition (SNCF/SYSTRA)
- Boosting Innovation for High Speed Rail (FFE)
- After the completion of these three studies, Marc Guigon proposed to set up a framework programme for the three next years concerning High Speed (2018 – 2020). An “executive committee” will be created to define the main lines of the studies for the next three years.
CARS kindly hosted a visit by the Committee to the Shanghai Control Centre and HS Train Maintenance Depot. Delegates experienced travel at 350km/h on the new Fuxing HS train.
The next ICHSC meeting will be held organised in Paris (UIC HQ) on 23 January 2017.