UIC has welcomed a new Director to its technical “Rail System” department. Christian Chavanel succeeds Dr Marc Antoni, recognised for his wide range of expertise and who led this department for five years.
Christian Chavanel is a railway professional with more than 30 years’ experience in international development, project management, operation, maintenance, safety, standardisation, and regulatory affairs.
He is an engineer and holds an Executive MBA.
He has notably been:
- Interoperability & Standardisation Director at SNCF from 2014 to 2019
- Chairman of CEN-CENELEC Sector Forum Rail (ex-JPC-R) from 2016 to 2019
- COO (SNCF Regional Transportation)
- PMO (SNCF Regional Transportation)
- Head of Paris Gare de Lyon station
- Infrastructure District Manager
The UIC Rail System Department supports the work of the Rail System Forum. This forum relies on its members to continuously improve the railway system. The forum is divided into six sectors dedicated to keep railways at the edge of technology and to seamlessly interconnect with other modes of transport. Rail System deals with a wide range of subjects such as Train-Track Interaction, Track and Structures, Rolling Stock, Energy Management, Asset Management and Operations, Telecoms, Signalling and Digital Applications.
More than 150 experts are involved in the department’s activities, which covers 78 ongoing projects.