On 10 December UIC held its 5th Digital Conference.
This event is now a tradition to “share, to open and to connect” with all actors of the worldwide digital eco-system.
The Conference was opened by François Davenne, UIC Director General. He said that “thanks to a digital attitude put at the heart of the system, we will have the opportunity to use a large amount of data in order to change the rail services.”
Gianluigi Castelli, UIC Chairman and FS Chairman, then delivered a keynote speech. He particularly stressed “the awareness needed for a positive digital mindset in the industry and the importance of using the right competencies for the right technologies.”
Two speakers presented their latest achievements and projects.
The first one was a UIC Member: SNCF
Loïc Hamelin and Giuliana Barbarino – SNCF DGEX Solutions delivered a presentation on “Open software: enhancing operations.”
The second speaker was Bill Nie – CEO of FATRI, a Chinese Company, a new key actor in the digital domain and he addressed the topic "What about Quantum Sensing in the new Smart City Transportation paradigm?”
Francis Bédel – UIC Chief Digital Officer, then had the opportunity to give a rapid review of the UIC Digital Platform’s 2019 activities and he presented a draft roadmap for 2020 highlighting the major planned events:
- 2nd African Digital Rail Summit (Tunis: April 2020)
- Australian Digital Conference (Perth: 14 – 15 May 2020)
- Participation in World Highspeed Congress (Beijing: 30 June – 3 July)
- 6th Digital Conference (December 2020)
He mentioned the two major projects of the DIGIM programme:
- DIGIM II dedicated to Connected Level Crossings. Designed in cooperation with Dassault Systems
- DIGIM III dedicated to the design of pilot on “Block Chain as a service” for Euro-Asia Rail Freight Corridor
UIC Digital Awards 2019
Once more, the 2019 edition was a huge success with several dozen start-ups from all over the world that had submitted their projects.
Four of them were selected and presented with an award during a friendly celebration ceremony.
Presentations of their projects by the selected start-ups:
- Bulldozair: Services Category (France)
- Cylus: Safety Category (Israël)
- Engineering Laboratory for Comprehensive Transportation Big Data Application Technology: Productivity category (China)
- Supraways: Special Prize (France)
The 5th edition of UIC Digital Conference was once more a most successful event with the active participation of all digital rail actors.
Most presentations are already available on the UIC website.